Oregon Action is proud to be leading the Health Care for America Now (HCAN) campaign here in Oregon and to be partnering with thousands of activists across the nation to work towards universal care.
We believe that everyone in this country should have accessible, quality health care they can afford. We are fighting for a uniquely American solution that gives a guarantee of coverage and real choice: keep your private insurance plan or join a new public health insurance plan so you are no longer at the mercy of the private insurance industry.
HCAN has 10 principles for comprehensive health care reform that are summarized by the following four areas:
Coverage You Can Afford
- Health coverage that is affordable for every person, family, and business.
- Coverage with premiums and out-of-pocket costs based on your ability to pay.
- Government acts as an advocate, setting and enforcing rules so private insurance companies can’t deny coverage or raise rates based on health history, age, or gender.
Comprehensive Benefits You Can Count On
- Standard, comprehensive health care benefits that meet your needs from preventive to chronic care.
- Low out-of-pocket costs (like co-pays) so you can afford to get medical care when you need it.
- Choice of doctors and hospitals.
Choice of Private or Public Health Insurance Plan
- Keep your current private insurance plan or join a new public health insurance plan.
- The choice of a new public health insurance plan is a guaranteed backup that will always be there to ensure quality, affordable health care coverage no matter what.
Equal Access to Quality Care
- Equity in health care access, treatment, research, and resources to people and communities of color and stronger health services in low-income communities.